[E3-hacking] Shell

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:19:02 +0100

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:48:23AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> On Sunday 01 May 2005 15:48, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> [...]
> > I gave up on pblq and wrote my own stuff, though probably I should have
> > just fixed pblq. I think what actually happens is the first command
> > times out but when you try again it works; I sit and wait for a
> > successful version command response before proceeding.
> pblq does ping the board with a get-version packet after the handshake's
> complete, and wait for the result, so that shouldn't be the problem...

It doesn't try sending it again once it's timed out though, which my
code does and I've seen it have to do several times.

> I suspect the major culprit is probably the bit of code that tries to
> be clever and changes the baud rate after handshaking. The E3 uses a
> different default baud rate, IIRC.

Reading pblq it seems to talk at 9600 until it does the baud rate
change; this is the same as the E3 - although the kernel/loader messages
are all at 115200 by default it talks (and listens) at 9600 for pbl
debug control messages. I'd told pblq not to change the baud rate when
I'd been playing with it, but that still wasn't successful.

It would be interesting to know if pbltool did anything with an E2
actually.

J.

--
If this isn't war, why is CNN massing on the border?
This .sig brought to you by the letter A and the number 17