[E3-hacking] Shell

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Sun, 1 May 2005 15:48:17 +0100

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 01:49:34PM +0100, Matt Evans wrote:
> >Turns out the E3 does obey the same sort of PBL format as the E2, but
> >there's some sort of timing issue with pblq I think. I've hacked up
> >something that does the job and rewritten my boot parameters to drop to
> >/bin/sh and I'm in! Some files from /proc can be seen at:
> >
> >http://www.earth.li/~noodles/files/delta-proc.txt
>
> What good news :)  Is there a certain flash offset that contains just
> the boot string?  Or is that wrapped into a block of a certain format?
> Could you share any specific info on this?  I'd like to give it a try.

In my flash there's a PARMS "Q;Q;" block at 0x4400 into NAND, so I
changed that.

> What was the pblq issue?  IIRC it recognised the ESC on boot, but then
> gave up listening & carried on booting - does it just have a very
> short timeout at this point waiting for a packet command?

I gave up on pblq and wrote my own stuff, though probably I should have
just fixed pblq. I think what actually happens is the first command
times out but when you try again it works; I sit and wait for a
successful version command response before proceeding.

I've put what I'm using up at:

http://www.earth.li/~noodles/files/pbltool.c

This can and will break your E3; don't use it unless you're really sure
you know what you're doing. Very rough and ready.

"pbltool read 0x0 0x10000 pbl.rom"

should give you a dump of the PBL. You probably want to let it print
"Prodding..." before powering on the E3. Or comment out the initial
version check.

J.

--
 [                    Beware of exploding fridges.                    ]