[E3-hacking] PBL & running arbitrary code

David Given e3-hacking@earth.li
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:39:41 +0000

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:59 +0000, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> Yes yes yes - has a smartcard socket, a smartmedia socket (BTW, where
> the hell can I buy one of these ancient things from these days?) and a
> pocket docket thingy.

Google shows up a few vendors; it would seem to be 20 UKP for 128MB,
which is a complete ripoff, but sufficient for a fixed 'disk' for the
emailer.

Incidentally, IIRC, SmartMedia is just a raw flash chip exposed to the
outside world. Which means no wear levelling, or automatic erasing, or
anything, so actually *writing* to the damned things requires a fair bit
of work.

> (4-pin serial nastiness - probably vcc/gnd and
> txd rxd - wouldn't be surprised if it was usual UART RS232-style data
> format (but at 'TTL' levels probably)).

If I were designing this, I'd hook it up to one of the other UARTs.
Might be useful as a serial user port.

Now, hacking the Dockit --- that's a completely different matter...

[...]
> couldn't find anything as polished, free, for my JTAG cable under
> linux.  I ended up using libjtag + armtool, which works with a variety
> of parallel port cables.

I cannot find any documentation for this thing. Hooking it up to libjtag
would probably be dead easy if I know what pin was wired to what ---
I'll try taking the lid off and fishing around inside, but it's probably
just an anonymous IC.

I suppose I'll just try it and see.

(I've just found another JTAG adaptor in my Drawers Of Doom --- it's a
P&E Revision A ColdFire BDM cable. It's got a 26-pin header, and
internally there's a 20-pin socketed IC... I suspect it's even more
exotic than the Insight cable. If anyone cares, the IC has $1D1F P&E
written on it.)

--
David Given <dg@cowlark.com>