[E3-hacking] DC adaptor?

Cliff Lawson clawson at amstrad.com
Wed Jul 6 15:04:45 BST 2005

Don't know if this'll help y'all but in house we use little boxes with a bit
of veroboard on which sits a MAX232 (and some TTL inversion if being used
for E3). To power it we generally just use the 5V on USB and either stick
this into the E2/E3's own USB (except that they don't have the 5V enabled
until boot has finished) or (more usually) stick it into the USB on a nearby
PC. You don't even need a fancy USB plug to do this - the copper "fingers"
on a piece of veroboard are the same pitch as USB pins anyway so a "4 wide"
bit of veroboard stuffed into a USB is an easy way to get 5V to power a
MAX232. Alternatively you can power the boxes with a 5V "wall wart" or even
a bench PSU but, on the whole, the USB power route is the easy solution.

Cliff