[E3-hacking] previous amstrad emailer

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:16:47 +0100

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:23:40AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 00:03 +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> [...]
> > Meh. And now I've managed it and overwritten the kernel so it no longer
> > boots. :/
> If you're lucky, you've just overwritten the NAND flash, aka the
> filesystem, and PBL's intact. If you're unlucky, you've overwritten PBL.

As I say, I've overwritten the kernel, so only some of NAND. PBL and LDR
are still there ok. My boot has gone from:

System module loader - LDR V1.5 Build:0008 Assert
Mod scan 10010100 to 10230100
MEM - 10024000 (flash 00404000)
PARMS - 10024400 (flash 00404400)
LDR - 10024800 (flash 00404800)
LINUX - 10044000 (flash 00424000)

System module loader - LDR V1.5 Build:0008 Assert
Mod scan 10010100 to 10230100
MEM - 10024000 (flash 00404000)
PARMS - 10024400 (flash 00404400)
LDR - 10024800 (flash 00404800)
PARMS - 10044000 (flash 00424000)

Ooops.

> In case 1, all you have to do is to use PBL to write a bootable image
> to the flash filesystem; PBL ought to be able to dial up and get a
> clean image from Amserve. You can tell if PBL's okay because the
> lights on the screen will flash manically as it scans the flash.

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought of making it ring Amserve; I've been trying to
figure out how to feed PBL 4.9 an image myself at present. I wonder how
I kick off an Amserve call home.

J.

--
              "Scattered f***ing showers my ass." -- Noah