[cgi-wiki-dev] making nodes first-class objects

Kate L Pugh cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:41:34 +0100

On Tue 09 Sep 2003, Jonathan Swartz <swartz@pobox.com> wrote:
> A few days ago I started a conversation with Kake about one
> unsatisfying aspect of CGI::Wiki's API: that the object-orientedness
> is not extended to nodes and other concepts in the system.

I do agree with Jonathan here.  Nodes are returned as hashes for
(mostly bogus) historical reasons.  They would make much, much more
sense as objects.

> Obviously for backwards compatibility we'd want to keep both APIs
> around for a while.

Another possibility is a grand renaming - Kwiki's having one, so why
not us?  The CGI::* namespace is not really the right place for
something that doesn't even do any CGI, plus the name is confusing to
people who expect to install CGI::Wiki and have an instant wiki.
Wiki::Toolkit is the thing I have in mind.

CGI::Wiki can stick around for a while, to give people time to migrate
to Wiki::Toolkit.  It may or may not be worth changing it to be a
Wiki::Toolkit wrapper before we finally bury it.  An advantage of
doing that would be that we'd have its comprehensive test suite
available to give Wiki::Toolkit a good working-over (though of course
I want Wiki::Toolkit to have its own, equally comprehensive test
suite).

Votes?  Aye?  Nay?  Offers of help?

Kake