Back in 2010 when I needed an ADSL2 router in the US I bought a Netgear DGN3500. It did what I wanted out of the box and being based on a MIPS AR9 (ARX100) it seemed likely OpenWRT support might happen. Long story short I managed to overwrite u-boot (the bootloader) while flashing a test image I’d built. I ended up buying a new router (same model) to get my internet connection back ASAP and never getting around to fully fixing the broken one. Until yesterday. Below is how I fixed it; both for my own future reference and in case it’s of use any any other unfortunate soul.
The device has clear points for serial and JTAG and it was easy enough (even with my basic soldering skills) to put a proper header on. The tricky bit is that the flash is connected via SPI, so it’s not just a matter of attaching JTAG, doing a scan and reflashing from the JTAG tool. I ended up doing RAM initialisation, then copying a RAM copy of u-boot in and then using that to reflash. There may well have been a better way, but this worked for me. For reference the failure mode I saw was an infinitely repeating:
ROM VER: 1.1.3 CFG 05
My JTAG device is a Bus Pirate v3b which is much better than the parallel port JTAG device I built the first time I wanted to do something similar. I put the latest firmware (6.1) on it.
I tied all of this together with an
openocd.cfg that contained:
source [find interface/buspirate.cfg] buspirate_port /dev/ttyUSB1 buspirate_vreg 0 buspirate_mode normal buspirate_pullup 0 reset_config trst_only source [find openocd-scripts/target/arx100.cfg] source [find openocd-scripts/board/dgn3500.cfg] gdb_flash_program enable gdb_memory_map enable gdb_breakpoint_override hard
I was then able to power on the router and type
dgn3500_ramboot into the OpenOCD session. This fetched my RAM copy of u-boot from
dgn3500_ram/u-boot.bin, copied it into the router’s memory and started it running. From there I had a u-boot environment with access to the flash commands and was able to restore the original Netgear image (and once I was sure that was working ok I subsequently upgraded to the Barrier Breaker OpenWRT image).