The Croydon Fun Weekend is an annual celebration of things to do in Croydon. It takes place on the last full weekend of January each year.
It's not associated with any formal or informal organisations — it's organised solely by me (Kake) with the aim of showing my friends some of the things that are great about living in Croydon.
Most of the weekend is open to anyone who wants to come along, but (for reasons of space and security) the parts that take place in my house are restricted to people I've already met in person.
Photos are great in general (and you can put them in our Flickr pool afterwards if you like) — but please don't take photos of other Croydon Fun Weekend attendees unless you have their explicit permission.
The 2014 programme (see also: 2019 programme)
Friday 24 January 2014
- Child-friendly lunch/snacks and play at Beanies, 3–7 Middle Street, CR0 1RE.
- Drinks at the Royal Standard, 1 Sheldon Street, CR0 1SS.
- 7pm onwards
- Dinner at Osushi, 47 South End, CR0 1BF. I would like to make a booking for this, so if you want to come please let me know by Monday 20 January. (I will aim for some flexibility in the booking, though, for those who inevitably end up deciding at the last minute.)
Saturday 25 January 2014
- Visit the Croydon Clocktower on Katharine Street (meet inside at 11am in the atrium with the benches). Check out the photo exhibition at the Clocktower Cafe, explore the Museum of Croydon, see some of my favourite things in the Local Studies search room, and view the Chinese porcelains of the Riesco Collection. The museum puts on children's activities (today's will be bookmark-making) and there are dressing up clothes in the Riesco Collection room. (Feel free to arrive earlier than 11am if you want more time for this – the cafe opens at 9:30am and the museum opens at 10:30am. I will be arriving at 11am and leaving at 11:50am to get to the next part of the day.)
- Drinks at Bishops Wine Bar, Whitgift Centre upper level.
- Lunch at Montien Thai Restaurant, Whitgift Centre upper level. We won't be making a booking for this so no need to decide in advance.
- 1:30pm-6pm, Team Shop/Cook
- Shopping for food on Surrey Street Market and in the independent shops on Church Street and London Road, followed by cooking at my house. There will be no overall plan for the cooking, so if there's something you particularly want to make then go for it. Non-cooks are welcome at this too, particularly if you're up for entertaining children while their usual carers do some cooking. Please note that due to the venue this activity is only open to people I've already met in person.
- 1:45pm-4pm, Team Adventure
- Tram walk led by Ewan, probably followed by a swift pint somewhere. Meet outside the Croydon Visitor Centre (a couple of doors down from East Croydon Station) at 1:45pm.
- 6:30pm onwards
- Teams converge for dinner at my house, cooked earlier by Team Shop/Cook. Please note that due to the venue this activity is only open to people I've already met in person.
Sunday 26 January 2014
- Dim sum lunch at Tai Tung, Wing Yip complex, Purley Way. We won't be making a booking for this, but be prompt if possible so we can get a little ahead of the lunch rush. There are no cash machines in the complex so please bring enough cash to pay for your lunch – it will probably be around £15–20. Pound coins and £5 notes are likely to be very helpful in splitting up the bill, so do consider bringing some.
- 2:30pm-4:30pm, Team Architecture
- Meet at East Croydon Station for a Croydon Tour led by James. The cost for this will be £10/person, paid directly to James on the day (so please bring cash).
- Afternoon, Team Pub
- Pub crawl led by bob.
- 6pm onwards
- Teams converge for drinks and pub food at the Green Dragon, 60 High Street, CR0 1NA.