[E3-hacking] E3's Internal Storage

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed May 29 10:11:30 BST 2019

The internal storage should be visible via the /dev/mtd devices --- it's
raw flash rather than a normal block device, and you'll need flash-specific
tools or a flash-specific filesystem like JFFS. However, AFAIK the stock
firmware's filesystem is custom and hasn't been reverse engineered yet. (No
effort was put into this back in the day because we didn't want to get
Amstrad angry. They were selling E3s under cost, after all.)

Re ethernet: have you tried manually configuring an IP address with
ifconfig? And it's worth looking to see if a copy of dhcpd is on the
filesystem somewhere.

Never tried a serial adapter.

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 09:45, ZudoBug2 . <zudobug2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an E3 that's still in its factory state (PBL V4.9 and never
> registered with Amstrad). It can boot into BusyBox Linux as per the
> instructions at https://wiki.earth.li/E3_Getting_Started
>
> Is it possible to access the E3's internal storage from the BusyBox
> command line?
> I am curious to read some of the config files etc.
>

> As an aside, I noticed that the E3's OS includes a driver for my "Pegasus
> II" USB Ethernet adapter, so I tried connecting this before power-up. The
> E3 doesn't obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP, but I wonder if it
> assigns a fixed IP that might permit access, for example via SSH?
>
> There also seems to be a driver for a Belkin USB serial adapter (but I
> don't have one to test it with). Anyone tried connecting one of these?
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie.

┌─── http://www.cowlark.com ───
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup