[E3-hacking] Understanding the E3s Partitions

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 12:26:53 BST 2019

Hi Nick,

> > You'd need to look into what pbltool is seeking and not finding.
> > But as long as you're still getting PBL printing out its banner,
> > it's there and willing to alter the main flash memory for you.
>
> I don’t know what I need to do next and how to find out what pbltool
> is looking for..?  I don’t know anything about pbltool,I only run it
> in the V2 release of E3 Linux to install it.

>From your questions, it seems you're at the level of wanting to install
Linux on the E3 so you can run programs on it, ideally by installing
pre-built packages, etc.  I don't recall the work done with the E3 being
that much of a `plug and play', e.g. like trying out one Linux distro
after another on a PC.

To troubleshoot, you'll need to start poking about the source code of
the programs like pbltool that you're trying to run, then when you
understand what they're attempting, research further to see what might
be the cause of the failure, etc.  And programs you want to run on the
E3 will probably need building from source, and perhaps cross-compiling
for it too.

IOW, there's quite a variety of skills needed to poke about and get
things going;  that's part of the fun, but it doesn't make for quick
progress.  I expect the lists' members are happy to answer technical
questions based on what they recall, but we haven't been near the
machines in many years and can't just try the same thing that you're
doing.

--
Cheers, Ralph.