[E3-hacking] Some things I have found on the Amstrad E3 while I was pressing different buttons.

Jake Sloan otaku at takingthingsapart.org
Wed Apr 3 18:41:52 BST 2019

On 4/3/19 5:22 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 April 2019 at 17:53:32, Jake Sloan wrote:
>
>> Enough time has passed that bruteforcing the required key is probably
>> feasible..
>>
>> I think the list has the details, somewhere.
> I seem to remember a posting along the lines of "this has got close enough
> that we're not going to give more details, because we don't want to annoy
> Amstrad, but anyone with enough clue might be able to take it from here".
>
> I don't believe the actual steps needed were ever publicly posted (but I'd be
> happy to be pointed at a correction if I'm wrong).

https://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2008-January/000795.html

That was about as far as I took it ..

Mr Lawson, iirc, mentioned the source data for the hash was a verse from
the bible, which should collapse the keyspace quite a bit.

>> You need to send a packet that hashes to a specific value to enable any
>> of the fun pbl functionality.
> Is that "specific value" generic, or device-specific?
>
> Antony.

bootloader specific, so will work for any 5.1 version.

O.

I should dig out whatever old E3 info I have stashed away somewhere and
refresh my memory.