[OSS RATS] OSS Swim the Thames #41 - Spade Oak to Bourne End - 11:00am Sunday 20 January 2013

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Mon Jan 14 20:30:22 GMT 2013

Notropis rubellus of the Thames, for the second time of asking!

         Please join Sef and me in celebrating the start of 2013 with a
token 1 km (or 1.5km) swim towards our target of the end of the Thames,
where ever that may be.

The Thames ismore settled at 128 m^3/s today (Down from the outrageous
181m^3/son Christmas Eve) and a toasty 9ºC, according to Maidenhead
Rowing Club(I'm not sure I believe that and afterthis week's forecast it
is sure to be less bynext Sunday.) There are Red Boards out on the
Thames for this area today but a smattering of Yellows are beginning to
appear up stream so hopefully all will be well on Sunday.
*
*This route has been reconnoitred under fast flow conditions by our
intrepid Expeditionary Force 5 at the end of last year and although the
stream was fast in the middle of the river the entry and exit points
were found to be relatively sheltered - just mind the bridge piers at
Bourne End. On the bright side, there aren't any weirs to be negotiated.

This is part of Swim 60 fromMichael Worthington's /'*I ? the Thames*' /
*
We'll meet at **Bourne End station car park at 11:00am on Sunday 20th
January 2013:**
**
**http://goo.gl/maps/b3pnv*

This will cost £2 for all day but is as near to our exit point as
possible.  We'll appreciate this when we get out.

To warm up we'll walk down to the river and then along the Thames path
to Spade Oak, where we got out last time.  This will be familiar to
those who have been on the two previous Thamesswims.

We'll jump/ tip toe cautiously in to the riverhere:

*http://goo.gl/maps/iCKhv*

and swim about a 1km down to the railway bridge and exit on theright
past therailway bridge  immediately past a gate on the footpath - don't
forget to butterflyunder the bridge! - just here:

*http://goo.gl/maps/LOJoK*

Or, if we're feeling strong we can carry on another0.5km to a wide beach
on the right for an easy exit here: Your choice, depending on temperature.

*http://goo.gl/maps/d7TZq*

Next we'll cross over the river on the railway bridgefootpath and back
to the station car park to get changed.

To start off the swimming New year Ann Chance will generously be hosting
refreshments at her house - directions handed out on the day. Please
Bring Your Own Booze (BYOB)- hopefully there is still a little left over
fromthe festivitiesand a Big Thanks to Ann.

Looking forward to seeing everyone againwith a great start to 2013 when
we should complete our non-tidal Thames journey.  Any thoughts on what
happens after that?

Jeremy and Sef and the Percina shumardi of the Thames

By joining any jolly jaunt with Jeremy and Sef you agree to abide by the
Outdoor Swimming Society's Swim Responsibility Statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility

Before signing up to join the OSS or partaking in any swims mentioned on
this site or the Outdoor Swimming Society facebook page, please read the
OSS swim responsibility statement. By signing up to join the society, or
participating in any swims, or using any material on the Wild swim map
you confirm that you have read and understand the OSS swim
responsibility statement and accept its terms.