[OSS RATS] Swim the Thames

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Mon Apr 4 23:12:22 BST 2011

    /A few of us have decided we want to swim the length of the Thames
    during the course of the next //year or three./

    /We will be doing this in small sections, in sequence, using Mike
    Worthington's book -- 'I Love the Thames' -- as our //guide,
    starting at the Source of the Thames and working our way //down to
    Teddington, a distance of around 150 miles. We expect to swim on a
    Saturday or //Sunday, probably every other week or so. This is *not*
    an endurance test but more a way to /
    /experience the complete Thames and hopefully add to our repertoire
    of swimming locations that we //can come back to in the future. To
    start with we will be aiming for a swim of a mile or two in the
    morning or afternoon //but as the weather warms up, and we get the
    measure of our capabilities, we can adjust the //distance and maybe
    do some full days combined with a picnic lunch. Later in the summer,
    we may program weekend swims, camping overnight, //and full moon
    swims, to make the journey as enjoyable and diverse as possible./

    /The first section of the Thames is a walk of around 12 miles from
    The Source near Kemble in //Gloucestershire to Cricklade.  We will
    do this on Easter Friday -- 22 April - with a picnic lunch.  The
    next section we expect to //be more of a wade than a swim which we
    will tackle the following May bank holiday weekend, avoiding the
    Wedding Friday to cater for Royalists! We will gauge the distance
    following a recce //at the end of our initial walk./

    /It may be difficult to make all the swims / walks so you are more
    than welcome to join us for any //sections that take your fancy
    or fit your schedule, and if you want to catch up on sections
    missing from your collection we //hope to record our experiences to
    provide some hints so you could do them independently. /

    /We will make up the schedule and logistics as we go along and try
    to set dates a month or two in advance and post them on the OSS
    sites as per normal swims./

    /In order not to overload the e-mail network, we will set up a
    separate group list for those interested in taking part, or
    following progress, and also a Facebook group to post stories and
    pictures on. We will also post swim alerts, as usual, to the OSS
    Oxon list and to Facebook. /

    /Let us know if you think you would like to join us  - the more, the
    merrier - along the beautiful Thames./

    /Usual OSS terms and conditions apply./