[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #53 & #54 - Shepperton to Molesy Lock via Sunbury Lock - Saturday 17 August 2013 2:00pm / Sunday 18 August 2013 10:00am

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Mon Aug 5 23:01:28 BST 2013

Lovies of the Thames,
We're in Shepperton, home of British films. Cast off your costumes,
leave the studio behind and join us for a trip down the river with the
African Queen accompanied by a flight of green parakeets. Watch the
crocodiles frolic, steer clear of the deadly rapids and brush off any
leeches.
*
CAMPING SATURDAY 17 August 2013*
This weekend we have a Saturday #53 and a Sunday #54 swim, with a
camping option on the night of Saturday 17 August at Apps Court Farm in
Walton on Thames here:

http://goo.gl/maps/DbTZi

http://www.appscourtfarm.com/camping.htm

If you would like to camp you must complete the attached booking form,
and return it to the campsitewith full payment.
*Easiest option* is to e-mail it to:enquiries at appscourtfarm.com and send
the payment via BACS.  All details are in the attached form. (It is
marked up as Thames Swimmers so we will all be together.)

This is a large commercial camp site, a bit different to what we've been
use to, but does go down to the river and is very conveniently placed
between the two swims.  It is also Bertie friendly!

It would handy if you could let me know if you're camping.

*NOTE:* The arrival time at the camp site is between 9am - 5pm so you
will need to pitch tents before the swim!

**Swim #53 *SATURDAY 17 August 2013 2:00pm Shepperton to Sunbury Lock
*
We'll meet in the car park (Free parking) at the *Elmbridge Xcel Leisure
Complex*Walton on Thames KT12 2JG:

http://goo.gl/maps/m77Ge

Get changed and shuttle up to the start at Shepperton, trying not to
disrupt any weddings upon arrival:

http://goo.gl/maps/PWijr or http://goo.gl/maps/lUL8M

Swim round the rest of Desborough Island, turn left and join the main
channel, and exit at Sunbury Lock, on the right avoiding the weir that
runs parallel tothe river:

http://goo.gl/maps/q3dHp (We may have to exit early to avoid the lock
cut but can judge that on the day, depending on traffic.)

This is mostly swim #71 from Michael Worthington's /*'I ? the Thames*'
/and is about 5km or half a Dart. We're starting part way down the swim
but going the 'proper' way around Desborough Island so is longer than
the route in the book.  No short cuts for us!

And walk back to the Leisure centre, not far from the weir, at the start
of the lock cut.  (Shuttle shuttle drivers back to their cars.)

**Swim #54 *SUNDAY18 August 2013 10:00am Sunbury Lock to Molesey Lock
*
We'll meet in the car park (Free parking) in Sadlers Ride, Hurst Park,
Molesey:

http://goo.gl/maps/fVf1E

Get changed and shuttle up to the start at Sunbury Lock and park in the
*Elmbridge Xcel Leisure Complex*Walton on Thames KT12 2JG:

http://goo.gl/maps/m77Ge

Jump in at Sunbury Lock and swim down to Molesey lock, passing to the
right of all islands.

On arrival at Molesy lock we walk back along the tow path to the car
park and shuttle shuttle drivers back to the their cars at the Leisure
centre.

This is swim #72 from Michael Worthington's /*'I ? the Thames*' /and is
about 4.75km

Lunch at The Weir pub near the leisure centre:

http://goo.gl/maps/Z2ea8

http://www.weirhotel.co.uk/

Sef Rose and Jeremy Allnut

By joining any jolly jaunt with Jeremy and Sef you agree to abide by the
Outdoor Swimming Society's Swim Responsibility Statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility

Before signing up to join the OSS or partaking in any swims mentioned on
this site or the Outdoor Swimming Society facebook page, please read the
OSS swim responsibility statement. By signing up to join the society, or
participating in any swims, or using any material on the Wild swim map
you confirm that you have read and understand the OSS swim
responsibility statement and accept its terms.

**