[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #24 - Abingdon Lock to Culham Lock - 10:30am Saturday 19th May 2012 - subject to confirmation

Sefryn Penrose sefryn at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:00:27 BST 2012

Sopping Buds of May,
*                                    **
Despite the continued deluge, the weekend's sunny weather means the river
is looking possible again.

So, we will pick up on the abandoned swim for Saturday 19th May from
Abingdon Lock to Culham Lock.  This will be an approximately 4.15km swim -
#34 in Michael Worthington's  **I* ♥* the Thames* .

Details below (please let me know by email about lunch - see below).

*We will still have to be vigilant. The river is fast-flowing and we will
have to be sensible about safety. Please be prepared to stay in groups.
Look out for the confirmation e-mail on Friday.

We'll meet here in the free car park at Culham at 10:30am on Saturday 19th
May 2012:

http://g.co/maps/ynxdp

Get changed, and shuttle up to the car park at Abingdon Bridge, where we
met for the last swim: (Will need money for parking in this one - £1.20 for
3 hours)

http://g.co/maps/rzf3d

>From here it is a relatively short walk (0.75km) to Abingdon Lock across
the fields, where we'll start our swim from:

http://g.co/maps/x77ep

We can have a breather around half way, just past the Marina entrance on
the opposite bank, where there appears to be a beach of sorts:

http://g.co/maps/v5rh6

ending up at Culham lock next to the car park.  From there we'll repair to
the *George & Dragon* for a spot of lunch: (*Tel:  01235 848142 ‎ )
*Can you confirm by e-mail if you will be staying for lunch?*
*
**http://g.co/maps/an9n4
*
Sef & Jeremy and the Barbus barbus of the Isis isis.

OSS swim responsibility statement:
By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read and
accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:
http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility
All swimmers swim at their own risk.

****

Please note that OSS Oxon exists to put swimmers in touch with other
swimmers, not to organise swim events or in any way suggest that outdoor
swimming is a safe activity or that you should go swimming. If you choose
to swim you do so entirely at your own risk and on your own initiative, and
any plans you make are your own responsibility.