[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #31 - Gatehampton (Almost) to Pangbourne- 10:00am Sunday 29 July

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Wed Jul 25 21:02:54 BST 2012

Greetings Sun worshippers - Summer is here at last.  Hopeful it will
hold out to the weekend. Currently, (pun intended) we have the best of
both worlds - warm weather with lots of water making progress easy - as
long as you're going downstream.  Fortunately that's just what we're doing.

This weekend we will swimming under another of Brunel's Great Western
viaduct masterpieces at Gatehampton and continuing down past the Beale
Wildlife Park.  Might be a potential ice cream stop? (Australian style
waterproof money could be handy.)  After that we head to the pedestrian
inaccessible Whitchurch lock where we will have to walk around and jump
back in for a short swim under the second of only two toll bridges on
the Thames (Remember the other Toll bridge at Swinford back in September
last year?) to jump out at Pangbourne Meadows where we are parked.

We'll then repair to the Greyhound pub in Whitchurch for lunch.

*We'll be meeting at  Pangbourne River Meadow **Car Park at 10:00am on
Sunday 29 July**:*
*http://goo.gl/maps/MCyn**
Parking is free on Sundays*

We'll Shuttle to Goring and park at the same car park we finished at on
the last swim:
http://goo.gl/maps/T1GO
Parking is free here as well, on Sundays

and walk down to the beach Entry Point that we exited at on the last swim:
http://goo.gl/maps/8x2q

There is no access, pedestrian or otherwise at Whitchurch Lock, so we'll
swim to the lock walk around, get in and swim under Whitchurch Toll
bridge and exit in Pangbourne River meadow here:
http://goo.gl/maps/4scg

There may be a challenge for walkers as the Thames path leaves the river
at Gatehampton and heads for the Chiltern Hills only to rejoin at
Whitchurch.  The tow path crosses to the other side at Gatehampton via a
long defunct ferry.  We could consider dropping walkers off on the tow
path side on the shuttle up BUT that means peeps will need to arrange
for waterproof bags to carry their car keys.

Jeremy and Sef and the Basking Sunfish of the Thames./

Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com <mailto:Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com>

/

/*OSS swim responsibility statement:*/

//

/By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:/

//

/http://www.outdoorswimming
society.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibili ty
<http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility>/

//

/All swimmers swim at their own risk./