[OSS Oxon] Swim the Thames 2

Sefryn Penrose sefryn at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:48:20 BST 2011

*Dear all,

Details of Swim #2 in OSS Oxford and Reading's Swim the Thames event series.
This is the second swim of the OSS Swim the Thames event and we will pick up
where we left off at Water Eaton footbridge. Hopefully by now the Thames
will be deep enough to allow for more swimming than wading. The swim will
combine swims 3 and 4 from Michael Worthington's book - 'I Love the Thames'
- and will cover about 3km. If the going gets too heavy we can always stop
part way and re-schedule the remainder for another day.

We will be meeting at 10:30 on Sun 15 May 2011 in the Red Lion car park at
Castle Eaton (marked by the green arrow). We have promised we will eat lunch
there at the end of our swim.

http://tinyurl.com/CastleEatonRL

The swim will be from Water Eaton footbridge (marked by green arrow)

http://tinyurl.com/WaterEatonFoB

to Round House farm, which is upstream of the Red Lion. We can shuttle up to
Water Eaton where there is limited parking for 3 cars - just - in a pull off
from the road next to the entrance to the private fishermen's carpark
(marked by green arrow).

http://tinyurl.com/WaterEatonParking

(If no fishermen are present the green field car park makes for a good
outdoor changing room.) Walk up the road towards Castle Eaton and take the
Bridle Path to Water Eaton footbridge.

We will exit the river opposite the Round House farm campsite (marked by
green arrow).

http://tinyurl.com/RoundHouseExit

Then walk down stream about 1km back to the Red Lion for lunch. The Red Lion
is the first pub on the Thames and the grounds go down to the river so must
be part of the Swim the Thames experience. Following our experience with
swim (wade) #1 this is going to require a decent pair of 'feet' - a pair of
surf boots with thick grip soles - but you can get cheap shoes of the kind
that you can buy at the beach for very little and they'll do, either on
their own, or with a pair of wetsuit socks which are again quite cheap. (See
OSS Facebook Wading shoes discussion
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55781602829&v=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=55781602829&topic=17110
).

As I (Sef) missed Swim 1, I will be catching up on this on Saturday. If
anyone would like to join me, **drop me a line, or if you have any questions
*(07949039099).
*
**By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:
 http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=sw
imming_tips&s=responsibility

See you there!

Jeremy & Sef