[OSS Oxon] Swim #6 of OSS Swim the Thames - Buscot to Grafton Lock - Sun17Jul11 at 10:30

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Mon Jul 4 22:42:12 BST 2011

Calling Team Thames, Calling Team Thames

/Details of Swim #6 in OSS Oxon and Reading's Swim the Thames event series.

Buscot to Grafton Lock - Sunday 17 July 10:30 - 15:00

We have emerged from the swan and weed infested Upper Thames and are now
firmly in the Middle Thames and adjusting to being out of our depth and
swimming properly.  Boats have replaced swans as the threat to our
continuing journey downstream to Teddington and beyond.

Meeting up at the visitors car park at Buscot which is within a few
hundred yards / metres walk of Buscot lock at 10:30 am on Sunday 17th
July 2011. Marked with a green arrow:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.677545,-1.667587&hl=en&ll=51.678037,-1.666918&spn=0.042311,0.077162&sll=51.67598,-1.667078&sspn=0.027681,0.06403&num=1&t=h&z=14
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.677545,-1.667587&hl=en&ll=51.678037,-1.666918&spn=0.042311,0.077162&sll=51.67598,-1.667078&sspn=0.027681,0.06403&num=1&t=h&z=14>

We will take a couple of cars, with clothes to change into after the
swim, to Kelmscott - which is about half way between Buscot and Grafton
lock. (Access to Grafton lock by road is problematic.)

We are swimming from Buscot Lock to Grafton Lock, a distance of about
5.4km, passing Kelmscott on the way.  The river is, supposedly, fast
flowing along this stretch so it won't feel as far as it sounds.  There
is also the option to break the swim at Kelmscott, where a couple of
cars are, if we are feeling weary.  When we arrive at Grafton Lock we
will walk back to Kelmscott and lunch at The Plough in Kelmscott. We can
then shuttle back to the car park at Buscot.  There is a Tea Garden at
Buscot in case anyone is still hungry after lunch!

We may also be able to schedule a visit to Williams Morris''s Kelsmcott
Manor, depending on opening times.

Hope to see some of you at the Oxford Big Jump this Sunday

/By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility
<http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility>

All swimmers swim at their own risk.

Jeremy and Sef  and the serene swans of Team Thames

e-mail: Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com
<mailto:Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com>