[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames - Swim #8 and #9 Radcot Lock - Tadpole Bridge - Shifford Lock - Sat13Aug11 12:00 / Sun14Aug11 10:30

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Wed Aug 3 05:30:08 BST 2011

We have decided, rather at the last minute, to make the weekend of
Saturday 13th / Sunday  14th August a two swim weekend with optional
camping on Saturday night at The Swan at Radcot, where we met for Swim
#7.  This gives everyone a number of possibilities:

*Saturday 13th August* - Swim #8 Radcot Lock to Tadpole Bridge (4.9km)

*Sunday 14th August* - Swim #9 Tadpole Bridge to Tenfoot Bridge (2.8km)
or Shifford Lock (5.6km), depending on how we feel.

*Or both swim #8 and swim #9* - Either camping overnight or going home,
to a hot bath and a soft bed, and returning on Sunday morning.

*IMPORTANT*

* *

*If you would like to camp, please let me (e-mail: jeremy at wellingham.com
<mailto:jeremy at wellingham.com>) know by reply, ASAP so that I can tell
The Swan how many of us to expect. The cost will be £5 per tent with no
limit to occupancy but I guessing a marquee may be pushing it. So buddy
up, get to know each other and save money! Camper vans are £8 (Sorry
Bertie).*

*SATURDAY 13th AUGUST*

If you are intending to camp we'll be meeting on Saturday 13th August at
10:30am at The Swan campsite on the island at Radcot to pitch our tents,
marked by the green arrow:

http://maps.google.co.uk/m​ aps?q=51.69311%2C-1.588181​
&hl=en&sll=51.695453%2C-1.​ 590648&sspn=0.013833%2C0.0​
32015&num=1&t=h&z=17
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.69311%2C-1.588181&hl=en&sll=51.695453%2C-1.590648&sspn=0.013833%2C0.032015&num=1&t=h&z=17>

If you are intending just to swim on Saturday 13^th August meet up at
The Swan campsite, above, at 12:00 midday.

We'll first shuttle a few cars down to Tadpole Bridge to bring us back
to Radcot at the end of the swim. Then we stroll down to Radcot lock to
start the swim.(About a 1.6km walk or a mile, in old money.)  We'll get
out at Tadpole Bridge, pick up the cars and drive back to Radcot. We can
then have a drink at The Swan opposite the campsite before setting up a
Barbeque for supper. Bring food and drink for yourself/and/or to share.
It's a full moon so, if we can stay awake, a midnight dip will round off
the day. This is a combination of swims 15, 16 and 17 from Michael
Worthington’s /I Love the Thames/ and a distance of 4.9km.

*SUNDAY 14th AUGUST*

Meet up at The Swan at Radcot campsite, on the island, at 10:30am Sunday
14th August:

http://maps.google.co.uk/m​ aps?q=51.69311%2C-1.588181​
&hl=en&sll=51.695453%2C-1.​ 590648&sspn=0.013833%2C0.0​
32015&num=1&t=h&z=17
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.69311%2C-1.588181&hl=en&sll=51.695453%2C-1.590648&sspn=0.013833%2C0.032015&num=1&t=h&z=17>

We will shuttle down to Tadpole Bridge in cars and swim down to Tenfoot
Bridge (2.8km) and walk back to Tadpole Bridge and the cars. Or if we
decide on going the full distance to Shifford Lock (5.6km) we will also
shuttle some cars down to Duxford which is the nearest road access to
Shifford Lock.  We can then go back to eat in the Trout at Tadpole
bridge (Posh pub) or The Swan at Radcot (Not so Posh). (I'll check out
menus ahead of time.) This is equivalent to equivalent to swims 18 & 19
from Michael Worthington’s /I Love the Thames/ and a distance of 5.6km.
(or 2.8km if we decide to call it a day at Tenfoot Bridge.)

Both these swims are reasonably long so bring wetsuits and rubber feet
(and socks and gloves if you get cold). There will be breaks at
predetermined points.

The Swan at Radcot:

http://www.swanhotelradcot.co.uk/index.html

The Trout at Tadpole Bridge:

http://www.trout-inn.co.uk/home.aspx

*OSS swim responsibility statement:*

* *

By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:

http://www.outdoorswimming​ society.com/index.php?p=sw​
imming_tips&s=responsibili​ ty
<http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility>

All swimmers swim at their own risk.

Jeremy and Sef and the Mermaids and Merman of Team Thames

e-mail: Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com
<mailto:Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com>