[OSS Oxon] Finalised 'exploratory' swim on the River Thame - Sat 10th July

James Lowe james.lowe at datacore.com
Sun Jul 4 10:22:25 BST 2010

Hello,

I went for a second look yesterday.

I think we should aim for starting at Cuddesdon Mill:

http://www.multimap.com/s/Mf9UyOf9

and finish near the pub in Chiselhampton

http://www.multimap.com/s/Mf8cyBX9

We can meet at the Pub get changed and then one or more of us can
drive you to the start point, leaving cars in the Pub car park for
when you get back.

The Pub starts serving at 12:00 so if we start at 10:00 we may get
there too early if anyone wants a drink, so perhaps an 11:00 start
might be more preferable to some?

I'll leave that open - I can do any time but I think earliest at 10:00
gives people a chance to get to the start that want to come.

I'll say it again, that this is more than likely not going to be a
'proper' swim, inasmuch as the start point (and finish points) are
about a foot deep. Now there is an angling club that fish along its
banks (according to the signs) but that is no guarantee of depth, I
didn't do any swim yesterday and could only see the first and last 50
yards of the route at each end.

Maybe it gets much deeper, but maybe not.

I am expecting that large parts of this 'swim' are going to be in a
'couple of feet' of water (i.e. mainly floating or pulling yourself
along the bottom) which may not appeal to some. I could be wrong, but
I don't want to set any expectation. This is an 'exploratory' swim in
the truest sense, so if the possibility of walking a lot in the water
doesn't appeal or you are looking for a gentle breastroke (or head-
down crawl) swim all the way, this is probably not for you.

If you are looking for some adventure and a chance to 'trek' about in
the river in the middle of the Oxfordshire Countryside then this is
could be the swim you want.

So bring footwear that has a reasonably tough sole - swim socks maybe
ok, but they may get ripped if the river bed is particularly stoney-
sharp - as I do expect to be dragging myself out of the water and
walking along the river (there will be no real opportunities to get
out on the bank as it is private land along most of the route). If
this is the case you will be getting in and out of the water quite a
lot, so depending on the weather you may want to bring a suit of some
kind if you get cold easily - and again for protection against rubbing
your body against a shallow riverbed.

Finally I also expect that those landowners who own either side of the
river probably don't get much boat traffic (let alone rubber-clad
individuals) in 'their' river so we may also get shouted at, quizzed,
maybe just ignored or we may not meet a soul. So be prepared for minor
confrontation (it has happened to us in the past - usually just being
polite and explaining the 'adventure' or the 'trying to swim as many
rivers in Oxfordshire as we can' has help people at least understand
what we are doing there even if they are still uncomfortable.

We all know that the legalities of river swimming is a very grey area
in England and while I am not intending to do any kind of trespass,
people can be rather defensively aggressive if they think you are 'on
their land' when you are just passing through on the river, so if this
makes you uncomfortable, again, this might not be the swim for you. I
don't expect trouble but you just never know.

Oh, if I haven't put you off already (or maybe I have whetted your
appetite even more?) I need to just re-iterate that you swim at your
own risk. I (or anyone else) will take no responsibility for any bad
things that may happen to you. Swimming in rivers is hazardous and we
provide no safety guarantees. If you do elect to come along you are
doing so based on just that you happen to be joining me for a swim
nothing more. If you are in any doubt, don't get in the river.

I will post a message here probably Friday just to confirm. If the
weather is really (really) bad I may not go, but a little rain is not
going to stop me. I can pick people up from (and drop back to Didcot
or Culham stations if needed.

if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

James