[OSS Oxon] August full moon swim

James Lowe james.lowe at datacore.com
Wed Aug 18 23:26:25 BST 2010

Hello,

Went for a swim along this stretch this evening. It was a lovely
temperature.

While nothing is ever set in stone, it will be quite dark by the time we
get to the water on Tuesday, so I am suggesting that we meet in the
place suggested below for around 19:45 (for 20:00), then head over in to
the field and instead of what we normally do - which is to head up
stream and swim down, we head straight to the normal end point (which is
a shallow beach area about 15 foot wide) and set up there.

I don't expect many other people on this stretch of the Thames Path, so
for convenience it may even be better to get changed and into the water
here by the river than scrabble about in the layby (it's of course up to
you) but the point being that people can come along just for a 'splash'
in the river rather than explicitly swimming a 'stretch', those that
want to do so can simply head up stream and swim back down - the current
is very, very weak at the moment.

Then those that just want to soak and wallow can also do that, but as a
group than individuals.

It also means that you can get in without a suit because you can get out
when you like if you get cold rather than be dictated to by the topology
of the bank and wear the suit 'just in case'.

Oh...bring a torch and if anyone has a 'lamp' that we can plonk on the
grass that would be useful.

Also, if the weather turns, some of us may still turn up.

James

PS. Some of us may go to the Pub afterwards in Dorchester and if anyone
wants a pick up from Didcot, let me know but not before 19:30 for me
(Claire I'm still on for Reading at 6:00 so don't worry).