[gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu May 24 18:54:59 BST 2018

(resending)

gdpr at sheogorath.shivering-isles.com writes ("Re: [gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification"):
> If someone wants to correct their mail address, just add a .mailmap file.
> For details check: https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-check-mailmap
>
> I think this should be enough on top of HEAD

I agree.

Although it would be nice if the mailmap (or another similar file)
could also contain the SHA-1s of the old values.

This is particularly relevant for trans contributors, and for anyone
else for whom use of their previous name or email address is offensive
somehow.  It is undesirable and unnecessary that their actual deadname
(or whatever) should be replicated in HEAD in the mailmap file.

Putting the hash in the file does not serve a *security* purpose
(since obviously it is easy to recover the preimage), but it does
serve the *human* purposes of avoiding the unnecessary promulgation
and display of deadnames etc.

Would anyone care to try to get that feature added to git ?

Ian.