[gdpr-discuss] [article] GDPR: Biggest pain points, now and later

Winfried Tilanus winfried at tilanus.com
Thu May 17 00:34:16 BST 2018

On 05/16/2018 11:16 PM, Walter van Holst wrote:

Hi,

>> https://enterprisersproject.com/article/2018/5/gdpr-biggest-pain-points-now-and-later
>
> None of them would hit my top five, as a GDPR practitioner.

Maybe it is better to elaborate what issues you do see.

To be honest, I don't think the GDPR is such a burden, certainly not for
OS projects.

Yes, professional users of your software inside the EU have to make a
list of the data they are processing, yes they have to think about why
they are processing it, yes they need to think what legal base the
processing has, yes they have to inform their users, yes the users have
rights like viewing their data and the right to request deletion.

But almost all of these were already mandatory under the previous EU
directive, all of these are part of showing respect to your users, all
of these are already in line with the spirit of open source software.

So, what GDPR-pain do you have?

To answer that question myself: while working at the GDPR project for
the XMPP Standards Foundation, if feels to me like doing a due check-up
of data policies and a due reviewing of policies about adapting or not
adapting to local laws. The only pain may be the pressure everybody
feels. But that is IMHO a necessity to get moving.

Winfried

--
privacy consultant e-health
+31.6.23303960