[gdpr-discuss] GDPR abuse ?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri May 11 12:17:31 BST 2018

Hi TJ,

> In order to operate effective anti-spam measures to deal with this,
> data controllers/processors would need to retain some PII. That
> retention would likely come under the heading of 'needed to operate
> the service'.

That's the issue I've been wondering about WRT lug.org.uk's Mailman
provision.  There's also Mailman's variables like
`accept_these_nonmembers' that build up email addresses over time.

> Hashing the identity items individually (email address, nick-name,
> real-name, telephone, etc.) would mean the anti-spam data was
> anonymous.

Not if it's easy enough to hash all likely telephone numbers and check
by brute force?  Or determine if foo at bar.xyzzy in particuar is there?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy