[gdpr-discuss] delegated authority (was: Re: impact on volunteer services)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 13 18:31:51 BST 2018

On 4/13/18 5:26 AM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 12.04.2018 20:31, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Has anyone here looked into the impact of GDPR on volunteer services
>> like the Chaos Computer Club or small teams (not legal organizations)
>> running decentralized communication instances?
>
> It doesn't matter if people get paid or not.
>
> From your example, the CCC does not actually run that many services as
> an organization. It is mostly individuals (losely) affiliated with the
> CCC, or local member organizations like hackerspaces.
>
> It is debatable whether the act of pointing a subdomain e.g. from ccc.de
> to some machine run by "someone else" already implies "control" over
> this service, but I would argue it doesn't, similar to how DENIC is not
> responsible for what I do on a .de domain.

Separate topic, separate thread. :-)

I see those as different things. With domain registration, someone at
CCC is the registered agent for ccc.de. It seems that such a person
would be ultimately responsible for what happens at, say, the
jabber.ccc.de service. Yet probably the folks at Automattic don't want
to take ultimate responsibility for what gets posted or (via WooCommerce
plugins, sold) at foobar.wordpress.com.

Hmm...

Peter