[E3-hacking] Newbie help please .......

Andy Brown andyb at uk8.net
Fri Feb 8 20:10:56 GMT 2013

Hi,

Looking for some help with an Amstrad E3 I was given recently.

I'm a computer technician, but have very little experience with Linux based
systems ( all our systems at work are Windows).

I was looking for a small screen to fit in the  Comanche helicopter cockpit
simulator I'm building. All it has to do is display some web pages and
change them based on about 8 different key presses.

I have set up a machine with Ubuntu on it and it is talking to the E3. I
followed the instructions here http://wiki.earth.li/E3_Getting_Started and
everything went fine until the last "bootm" command.

It did give a lot of info about the image but didn't end with a shell
prompt. Instead I get a message:

" kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown
block(1,0)"

I do get the "penguin" and a load of text on the E3 screen before the error,
so I rekon I'm not far away.

I've also tried the system from 2.6.16 here http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/ with
exactly the same results.

Can somebody advise what I'm doing wrong please ?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy