[E3-hacking] em2001uk

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Oct 28 22:18:55 GMT 2012

On 28/10/12 20:42, Anthony Griffiths wrote:
> I've got an amstrad emailer em2001uk that is locked up and unusable -
> 'Hold down (email) button to restore service', so I'm here as a
> beginner to see what I can do about it. All I want is to use it as an
> ordinary phone. I know my way a bit around a linux pc if that helps.
> Thanks for any advice.

(Did you email me directly as well?)

I haven't touched mine for ages, but... you get that message when the
emailer's unable to call home to download adverts. I *thought* they'd
disabled that requirement last year. Has your emailer been in storage
for a long time? If so it may not have downloaded the update, and if
Amstrad's servers aren't running any more you may be out of luck.

Just to check: it is plugged into a telephone line, right?

│ "Of course, on a sufficiently small planet, 40 km/hr is, in fact,
│ sufficient to punt the elastic spherical cow into low orbit." ---
│ Brooks Moses on r.a.sf.c