[E3-hacking] Support status update

Janusz Krzysztofik jkrzyszt at tis.icnet.pl
Mon Aug 2 19:25:18 BST 2010

Hi,
With the 2.6.35 released today, we finally have a slightly modified version of
the old Matt Callow's mailboard serio adapter driver included in the mainline
kernel.

A small fix for more stable LCD display blanking/unblanking has been
integrated as well.

Due to the changes requested by Dmitry Torokhov, the input subsystem
maintainer, who finally accepted the resulting serio code and integrated it
into his tree, we now need some extra userspace support to get the mailboard
working as expected. The preferred way is using a relatively new udev extras
utility called keymap. A proper keymap file still has to be created and
possibly submitted to the udev maintainer for inclusion.

Still using an older version of udev from the Ansgstrom distribution, I use a
different utility, called input-kbd, that is a part of input-utils. My udev
rule that automatically loads a required keys map for me looks like this:

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", \
	ATTRS{phys}=="GPIO/serio0/input[0-9]*", \
	RUN+="/usr/bin/input-kbd -f /etc/mailboard-raw.map %n"

My /etc/mailboard-raw.map is appended below. The top row consists of Esc and
F1 - F10. Please modify the map to suit your taste.

This keys map is unidimensional, its purpose is to provide the driver with
correct physical keycaps layout. To get the keyboard producing correct
characters with shift, ctrl, alt, etc., loadkeys utility with a proper key
table must be used on top. I have not yet played with it.

It should be possible to use a standard AT or PS/2 keyboard connected to the
E3 instead of the mailboard (I have not tried, but I succesfully tested the
opposite, ie. the mailboard connected to a PC). For this, you have to build a
special adapter (you can use the gamepad cable if you don't play games on
your E3). Since a standard keyboard needs no keys map modifications, don't
put the above udev rule in your /etc/udev/rules.d/ if you decide to use it
instead of the mailboard.  Unfortunately, it's not possible for the udev to
distinguish whether the mailboard or a standard keyboard is connected (they
respond exactly the same), so it's not possible to switch from one to another
without manually loading/unloading the mailboard specific keymap.

Happy typing.
Janusz

my /etc/mailboard-raw.map:
---