[E3-hacking] E1

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Oct 3 01:09:31 BST 2008

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
[...]
> I suspect it's more primitive than the E2's PBL so I doubt a passkey is
> required.  Request 00 always replies with a NAK in PBL V3.1 but perhaps
> it does something useful in the earlier version and was changed to be a
> constant NAK later?  Do you get anything from request 01?

I haven't tried 01 specifically, but pblq pings stuff with request 02
(GETVERSION) on connect, and I don't get any response. I'm not receiving
*anything* from it, not even the 0x06 when PBL interrupts the boot sequence.

At this point I suspect I definitely need a capturing scope to try and
see if anything at all is coming out. Alas, they're not cheap.

Incidentally, I also took the lid off the Pocket Dockit. As expected
it's calculator technology --- ICs glued directly to the PCB with resin
blobs poured on top --- but I do notice a bunch of pads labelled Vdd,
GND, RESET, SDAT and SCLK. SPI, perhaps? There may even be a real PIC
under there...

│ "...it's not that well-designed GUI's are rare, it's just that the
│ three-armed users GUI's are designed for are rare." --- Mike Uhl on
│ a.f.c