[E3-hacking] Compiling Apps

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Oct 4 00:30:29 BST 2006

Luke Schneider wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering how you were doing this development work for the E3s..
> Are you using a crosscompiler or do you have GCC running on the E3 itself?

Well, I've had Debian running on the E3, and for a stunt I tried compiling a
kernel; it took about four hours. (Look in the list archives for "Debian
report" for the exact figures.) While it's still faster than the Sun
workstations I learnt to program on, personally I'd be happier cross-compiling.

Incidentally, I also have an NSLU2, which is a similar specced ARM device with
32MB and a USB 2 disk. Trying to compile C++ on that more or less kills it
stone dead. Trying to compile a 4000 line C++ program took, basically, all
day; I think this is because the C++ compiler's working set is too big to fit
in RAM, which means its thrashing the swap continuously. So given that the E3
has a USB 1 connection, making for ludicrously slow swap, things would be even
worse on it.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)