[E3-hacking] kernel compilaton question.

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon May 1 10:52:01 BST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:44:55AM +0000, David J. Singer wrote:
> I'm having a little problem getting a hand-rolled kernel onto my E3
> and wonderded if someone could just point me in the right direction.
>
> I've downloaded the linux-2.6.16 sources, applied all the patches from
> http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/2.6.16/  (aside: 07-ams-delta-defconfig
> fails for some reason so I had to do that one by hand!) then done a:
> make ams_delta_defconfig && make uImage
>
> The 'uImage' that's produced has a load address of '0x10008000' and
> results in "Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC" error when I try and
> flash the E3.

What do you mean "flash the E3"? Are you writing your kernel into the
NAND?

> I suspect this load address is wrong. The pre-built kernel from the
> above URL has a load address of '0x11d00000'.
>
> What am I doing wrong!?

Generally you use pbltool to load whatever kernel image you've made to
0x11d00000. You then do "bootm 11d00000" in u-boot, which relocates the
kernel to the appropriate kernel load address and executes it. As such
there are 2 "load addresses"; one for where pbltool loads the kernel and
one for where u-boot loads it to. Which are you talking about?

J.

--
Does Barry Mannilow know you raid his wardrobe?
This .sig brought to you by the letter H and the number  2