[E3-hacking] PBL and flash access on the E3

Cliff Lawson clawson at amstrad.com
Wed Mar 29 15:20:08 BST 2006

Indeed,

Remember:

		{
			FSH_ALGORITHM_SMART_MEDIA,
			PBL_FLASH_DATA_BUS_WIDTH_8BIT,
			PBL_VPP_CALLBACK_NULL,
			0x00400000UL,
			0x01000000UL - (0x00400000UL +
MFS_RESERVED_BAD_BLOCKS),
			0x00000000UL,
			0x00000000UL
		}

well the 00400000 in there is the "base" address of the Nand and the
0x01000000UL - (0x00400000UL + MFS_RESERVED_BAD_BLOCKS) in there is the
length the PBL considers it has to play with as a "data" area. This is
because the end of the device is reserved for re-map sectors. That is:

	/*
	** Reserve 192KB * 4 for bad blocks (assumes 32MB part).
	*/
	#define MFS_RESERVED_BAD_BLOCKS 	((192 * 1024UL) * 4U)

Oh I forgot to mention (cos I'd forgotten!) that unlike Gamma, Delta
actually has TWO file systems in it and two MD/bad block systems. The bottom
4MB of the device has our old BSI/Gamma type FFS (Flash File System) while
the rest of the device is controlled by MFS (Mini File System) and this
includes the area where the code lives from 4MB onwards. FFS has it's MDs in
the very first sectors of the device while MFS has it's MDs in the very last
sectors of the device.

Cliff

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road