[E3-hacking] Another hello

jasmine at electronpusher.org jasmine at electronpusher.org
Thu Jan 19 17:54:40 GMT 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, andy at entropy.demon.co.uk wrote:

> On the E3 (home hacking) I'm scared to shove more than 3.3V in as I
> believe the OMAP is a 3.3V part on a 0.18ish micron process. I suspect
> it would die if connected directly to an RS232 level signal if there
> isn't some protection.

The OMAP5910 can run on core voltages around 2v (1.45 to 2.2v according to
who we made them for) and has 3.3v IOs.  It is on a 120nm process, and
the UART pins have internal pad driver logic containing a hevty anti-ESD
diode designed to protect the chip up to 2kV.  It can't cope with much
actual power, though, so it would probably die if you fed it 9v at a
source impedance of less than 10kohms or so.

-J.,
former OMAP architect