[E3-hacking] E3 serial connection

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Feb 22 21:19:19 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 18:08, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
[...]
> > * If you just wire it up, it may work, but you run some risk of frying
> > the UART in the E3.
>
> True; I have mine wired up at present with no converter or level
> shifter.

Hmm.

[...]
> > * You can wire it up to an E2 line level converter and it will work.
>
> True if taken together I believe; you need an E2 style converter plus an
> inverter.

If I were to wire it up to an E2 converter *backwards* --- so that logic 0 was
-5V and logic 1 was 0V --- would the tolerances in the E3's UART and the
converter's own chip make it work? After all, if the E3 can cope with +/- 25V
for RS232, it ought to be tough enough to manage -5V...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "A psychic? That sounds like science fiction."
+- www.cowlark.com --+ --- Firefly, _Objects in Space_