[E3-hacking] E3 rootfs problems

Tolly Nelson bjn377 at bham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 14:21:06 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I've been hacking my E3 over the last few days, but I can't seem to get
my rootfs image to work...

My toolchain seems to work, as I can compile u-boot and the kernel with
no problems, and they both boot, but the root just doesn't want to
execute - i.e it stops after :

"...
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 100K"

I've checked my inittab, and the relevant line is there:

"::respawn:/bin/ash"

I've mounted the ext2 image locally, and 'file busybox' says:

"busybox: setuid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped"

So I know that its compiled correctly. (unless I require static linking)

I'm using the standard linux.pbl pbltool script, so maybe I'm getting
the memory locations wrong (my rootfs and kernel are slightly different
sizes)

When using the stock rootfs, the system works fine with my u-boot and
kernel.

Any help would be appreciated,

Tolly