[E3-hacking] previous amstrad emailer

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:03:30 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:39:51PM +0100, paul@gamma.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:34:39PM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > Do you have any documentation you could share on what it tries to
> > connect to and request? Also what format are the username/password
> > in - I tried to connect to the Amstrad dialup stuff with my Amserve
> > details and a normal PC, but that didn't seem to do the trick.
> I think there is a single username and password that is common to all
> the amstrads. This username and password is stored in the
> configuration file that it starts out with and that it downloads. I'm
> not sure I feel comfortable in disclosing it publicly though. All the
> URLs it requests are also stored in the config file, i.e. the ones for
> registration and adverts etc.

Interesting; I can't find a similar file stored on the E3 filesystem. I
wonder if it gets written after registration and is in the binary until
then.

> All you need to do to determine it is to set up a PPP server and get
> the amstrad to dial it. I'm sure you can change the registration
> number manually so you don't need a pbx to do this.

I couldn't figure out a way to do this; I tried setting a prefix, but it
didn't want to let me. Perhaps I should try harder. :)

> The reason I'm not comfortable is that once you have these details,
> their charging system for SMSs, games etc. crumbles into nothingness.
> I'm certainly not interested in sending SMSs from the amstrad or
> playing games on it, but just wanted it as a decent answering machine.

That's reasonable enough. I want to turn the E3 into a SIP phone I
think, once I actually get software access to it.

J.

--
Been through Hell?? and what did you bring me??