[E3-hacking] previous amstrad emailer

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:34:39 +0100

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:53:56AM +0000, paul@e3.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
> I haven't got an e3 yet, but since they've just come down in price I
> might get a pair. However, I do have a couple of the previous versions
> of the emailer which I just use as normal phones. I did have a bit of
> a look at the emailer to stop it having to dial up to premium rate
> numbers which annoyed me a bit.
>
> What I did was configure the emailer to dial another modem instead of
> the premium rate number by using a cheap 4 port pbx. This, as someone
> else mentioned dials up and authenticates via CHAP. By prompting the
> emailer for authentication, I learned its username and password. You
> then see the amstrad try to connect to various servers and request
> configuration files over HTTP amongst other things. I configured my
> box to respond to all IP addresses and learnt what it was requesting.
> You could then use the above info to request the config files from the
> real server.

Do you have any documentation you could share on what it tries to
connect to and request? Also what format are the username/password in -
I tried to connect to the Amstrad dialup stuff with my Amserve details
and a normal PC, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

(Don't have a PBX to test such things myself at present, but have been
meaning to buy some FXS bits to get Asterisk up and running locally, so
might get round to it soon.)

J.

--
                 |        noodles is not pasta        |