[E3-hacking] previous amstrad emailer

e3-hacking@earth.li e3-hacking@earth.li
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:26:13 +0000

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:11:46AM +0000, David Given wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:53 +0000, paul@e3.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
> [...]
> > What I did was configure the emailer to dial another modem instead
> > of the premium rate number by using a cheap 4 port pbx.
>
> That's rather interesting; it opens up the possibility for an
> alternative mechanism for reflashing it by pretending to be an official
> Amstrad firmware update...

Yes, presumably. I think I have some firmware updates somewhere.
Something like this maybe?

$ strings -a AppMmeBotDebug.pmt |sed 5q
RebaseMot V1.0 BOT.pmt
Q;Q;
5s3%
@(#)BOT V1.0 Build:0046
 s3%

> Incidentally, while I was poking about on Usenet, I found a number of
> reports that if you prevent the e-mailer from calling the 0800 advert
> retrieval number for more than a few weeks, it'll stop working
> completely. How long have you had it set up like that?

A year or so. It's next due to dial up for some adverts in about 2020
I think :)

There's some flag that is to do with locking out, but I forget what
I altered, maybe one of these:

UseLockout=1
UseV2Lockout=1

This is interesting :-)