[E3-hacking] Small update

David Given e3-hacking@earth.li
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:46:23 +0000

I've figured out how to get PBL to program the NAND flash, and have
added the appropriate stuff to pblq to make it all work... it's request
0E, of course, except it behaves rather oddly until you realise that it
only works on 8kB chunks.

Unfortunately, it will only *program* the flash, not *erase* it. Which
means that it can change a 1 to a 0, but not back to a 1 again... and
since my test file consisted of about 70kB of zeros, this means that at
least part of my flash is empty.

(Interestingly, the Amstrad firmware still boots --- except without the
splash screen. Obviously, that first chunk simply contains the splash
screen code, and chains on to the next chunk, which must take some time
to decompress. Now I've overwritten the magic in the first chunk, PBL is
skipping on ahead.)

So if anyone can figure out how to make PBL erase a flash sector, all
the tools we need will be in place to actually run stuff!

Incidentally, would it be worth setting up a wiki or hieraki or
something for the project?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
| (dg@tao-group.com) |