[E3-hacking] Initial version of pblq

Chic Thomson e3-hacking@earth.li
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:23:15 -0000

folks
oops! duff link, try this one.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010053

I also note that there is now a daughter board available to provide some
very simple signal
analysis.

sorree!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:51:40 -0000, Chic Thomson <chic@ayrcoll.ac.uk>
wrote:

> david
>   many thanks from a lurker. i live behind an academic firewall that
> is very picky about letting emails go to lists, but i am thoroughly
> enjoying trying to replicate all that you guys are up to on my E2.
>
> Just another thought on the Max232 stuff that's been going about. I
> bought a microchip flash pic starter kit
>
>    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=4390787&N=401
>
> mostly cos i was interested in the groovy USB interface/12v power
> supply, however a third of the board, over to the right in the webpage
> above, is a snap off region that contains no components but is setup
> for any 14pin chip plus a complete MAX232 lay out. This might be a
> solution for anyone who is more comfortable populating a PCB than
> hacking veroboard (and you get a PIC development kit thrown in too!)
>
> Chic
>

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:23:28 +0000, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
>
>> Here it is --- it's only 6kB, so I've attached it, and I'm only doing
>> that because this is a low subscription list.
>>
>> Features:
>>
>>       * Lots of complex handshaking code; on startup, if PBL is running,
>>         it'll connect to that, otherwise it'll wait for you to power
>>         cycle the device.
>>       * After handshaking, it changes the baud rate for faster
>>         transfers.
>>       * Command-line interface, easily scriptable.
>>       * 100 Bps download speed at 115200 baud!
>>
>> It currently only supports three commands; ping, checksum and read.
>> write (0500) is next on my list; do we know how to change the NAND flash
>> yet? Is that 0E00?
>>
>> BTW, there's a typo in the PBL spec --- the documentation for 0900 is
>> specifying that the baud rate should be passed in big-endian; it's
>> actually little-endian.
>>
>> How to build:
>>
>> 	./configure
>> 	make
>>
>> How to use on the E2:
>>
>> 	./pblq read outputfile.img 0x80000000 0x10000
>>
>> ...and on the E3 (untested):
>>
>> 	./pblq -s 115200 read outputfile.img 0x80000000 0x10000
>>
>> Let me know if it works, is useful, or is broken. (Tip: -v is helpful.)

>> Right. I now have a copy of the PBL flash image. Looking at it with a
>> hex editor, I notice immediately that my serial number seems to be in it
>> at 0xFF20. Can anyone confirm this? This would imply that each version
>> of PBL is unique. My MD5 is:
>>
>> 08f841b5a4c14052bcd94b25e1363120  pbl-flash.img
>>
>> (That's the version read out of flash, as above, not the version in
>> RAM.)
>>
>> I also notice that trying to read the contents of the NAND flash at
>> 0x80010000, using the byte-at-a-time checksum technique, makes PBL very
>> unhappy. At one point I ended up with a file full of Qs; mostly PBL acts
>> oddly which makes pblq die with protocol errors. Any suggestions?

Chic Thomson
ICT Manager
Head of Computing
Ayr College           t :=    (44)1292-293585
Dam Park              f :=    (44)1292-263889
Ayr                   e := chic@ayrcoll.ac.uk
KA08 0EU              w :=  www.ayrcoll.ac.uk
I dont purport to represent the views of Ayr
College on anything very much, and in general
Ayr College doesn't represent my views on very
much either.