[E3-hacking] PBL & running arbitrary code

David Given e3-hacking@earth.li
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:25:55 +0000

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 11:02 +0000, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> !  Smart media holds /enough/ - Well, enough to hold a kernel that will
> then drive USB storage devices ;-)

Does the E2 have a Smart *Card* socket or a Smart *Media* socket? I
can't seem to find a definitive spec.

And does the E2 have a Pocket Docket, or was that only the E1?

[...]
> I do, but Amstrad lawyers would come and kill me if I did, I think :(
> Don't suppose you have the means to make a JTAG cable...?

I was hoping to avoid all that messy JTAG stuff, but it's obviously the
way to go.

The company I work for does embedded operating systems, and

*rummage around in drawers*

it took me 15 seconds to lay my hands on an Insight IJC2 parallel port
JTAG adaptor from some long-defunct piece of hardware, but unfortunately
my home computer doesn't have a parallel port. Plus, it would appear
that I'd need to solder pins onto the E2's motherboard to make it work.

Can anyone reccomend any Linux JTAG software? Are there any standard
interfaces?

As for the PBL ROM image, I'll drop in to Dixons this evening and get an
E2 --- then I'll have a genuine license and you can send it to me quite
legally, muhahaha.

--
David Given <dg@cowlark.com>