[E3-hacking] Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone.

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:47:33 +0000

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:43:10PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:48:52PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:59:44PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > If anyone has a copy of the emailer source btw (or gets one for review
> > > so has a download option ;)) then it would be nice to stick it up for
> > > ftp for all.
> > No one seems to have done this, and the offer Amstrad makes requires the
> > sending off of £25 to them to cover admin and distribution costs rather
> > than allowing a download of it. I did this a few days ago so will
> > hopefully hear from them in the next week or so.
> I've now received this.

Which turns out not to actually be what they're using; what I have
source for is "2.4.18_mvl30-E3" whereas my E3 has
"2.4.18_mvl30-ams-delta". Also there's no sign of a dfdblk/MFS-DFD
driver in the provided source, but the dmesg output of the E3 clearly
shows such a driver initialising before any filesystem is mounted,
ruling out the possiblity of it being a module.

I contacted Amstrad about this over a week ago, but to date haven't had
a response.

J.

--
9 out of 10 men who tried Camels prefer women.