[cgi-wiki-dev] Re: Wiki::Toolkit suggestions (fwd)

Tom Insam cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:13:55 +0100

In a vaguely similar spirit, I've been toying for a while with an
object model for CGI::Wiki. Rather than re-implement things, I'm trying
to nail OOP onto the top of CGI:::Wiki. Mostly, I'm lazy and don't want
to re-implement all that stuff. I have a first-cut effort that I'm
quite happy with in my svn repository ( I imported 0.61 from CPAN for
hacking on ) which you can get at and play with here:

http://dev.jerakeen.org/svn/tomi/Projects/CGI-Wiki/

I've added one file,
https://dev.jerakeen.org/svn/tomi/Projects/CGI-Wiki/lib/CGI/Wiki/
Node.pm which represents a node object, and a few methods to CGI::Wiki
to return and create nodes. I'm trying to document the things in the
existing API that I break here:

http://dev.jerakeen.org/svn/tomi/Projects/CGI-Wiki/INCOMPATIBILITIES

The API is demonstrated best by the test:

http://dev.jerakeen.org/svn/tomi/Projects/CGI-Wiki/t/160_objects.t

which exercises most of the interesting bits. Note that not all of the
rest of the tests pass - this is because I've broken the plugin API
completely. I may revert this - I _also_ intend, thanks to
conversations with Martin in the pub, to re-build the plugin interface
- right now it's not a plugin interface at all, frankly, it's a list of
modules. But this really should be a separate development branch..

Anyway, I'm interested in feedback on the direction the API is going,
if anyone wants to look at the code.