[cgi-wiki-dev] updates

Justin Kao cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm reading it as your plan is to hierarchise things a lot more than
> they are in the general "flat namespace" wiki idea - is this what
> TWiki "topics" are all about?  I do prefer having a flat namespace and
> letting structure evolve as the wiki is used, but I don't object to
> building in hierarchy support to CGI::Wiki if people want it.  It is
> not going to be a high priority for me unless someone makes it worth
> my while though - giving me good reasons to do it or offering to do
> some of the work.

Speculation: one could emulate a hierarchical namespace by differentiating
between an item's name and title. The "name"  would be some uniquely
identifying #, while the "title" would be what humans see. Then
hierarchical relationships could be represented in the metadata...
(Perhaps this would require explicit CGI::Wiki support to keep the front
end script from becoming a mess? I don't know.)

See:
http://the.earth.li/~kake/cgi-bin/wiki-toolkit/wiki.cgi?node=Name%20Vs.%20Title

Personally I would like to see Wiki::Toolkit explicitly differentiate
between name and title (really just as a special metadata) so that it will
be easier to do things like this:
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?FacetWiki

Justin