[cgi-wiki-dev] SQLite Backend

Naved, Masroor cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:43:01 -0500

My mistake, I was not checking the returned value from write_node. I thought
it would throw an error in the Apache error log.

> I am wondering if it should do so.  It'd mean an extra
> preliminary database call (to check table existence) every
> time you tried to write a node, which would increase load.
> Also if you typoed the database name you wouldn't be hitting
> the database you expected - which would be a right pain in
> the case of SQLite since it'd just create you a new database
> file and then you'd be wondering where all your data went.
>
> Opinions on that please.

After looking around I found CGI::Wiki::Setup::SQLite module. Because of my
newness with Perl and the CPAN I thought all needed modules and/or related
modules would be listed in the webpage of CGI::Wiki at the cpan site, after
finding the setup functions, it was smooth sailing. :)

> The pointer to cgi-wiki-createdb is in INSTALL :)  Should it
> be more prominent, or did you just forget to read that file?
> There's a *lot* of info in there.  Maybe it should be in
> README too - would that have helped?

I used the command 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' to start a CPAN prompt and just
did a 'install CGI::Wiki'; I never knew that there was a INSTALL doc to look
at. I thought that the document on the www.cpan.org site was the
INSTALL/README file, I guess I was wrong about that.

> Oh, relating to this, Tom - do you want to take out the
> 'dbuser' requirement in CGI::Wiki::Kwiki and make a new
> release?  I keep having to put dbuser => "thisisnotused" and
> it's bugging me :)

I tried this after finding the CGI::Wiki::Setup::SQLite module, just in
case. It worked okay, I use the command without entering a username or
password, just a file path.

Thanks for the info and help.

-Masroor