[cgi-wiki-dev] Convergence with Kwiki?

Tom Insam cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:17:54 +0100

At 0:34 -0400 2003/09/14, <Martin@Cleaver.org> wrote:
>Hi Kake,
>More questions=8A has anyone proposed, and what's=20
>the general feeling about, merging the efforts=20
>of CGI::Wiki and Kwiki? I question the need for=20
>independent efforts and wonder whether a joint=20
>community would have better economies of scale.
>Cheers,
>     Martin

Apart form Jonathan's point, for me the main=20
difference is that Kwiki is a bit of CGI that=20
implements a Wiki. CGI::Wiki isn't, it's a=20
toolkit that lets you build a wiki. There's an=20
important difference - to change how Kwiki works,=20
you're removing bits of it and doing your own=20
thing. You don't need to change how a CGI::Wiki=20
engine works, hopefully, it's just a matter of=20
building the front end differently.

Of course, having said that, I _did_ write=20
CGI::Wiki::Kwiki, which was intended to be a=20
simple Kwiki-like front end to CGI::Wiki that=20
Just Worked, but that was more of a 'move your=20
kwiki to a 'real' database' aid than anything=20
else.

There's no way that openguides could have been=20
built on a Kwiki without serious messing around.=20
Openguides is obviously a wiki, but not what I'd=20
think of as a 'traditional' wiki...

--
=2Etom