[cgi-wiki-dev] Wiki zen garden

Kate L Pugh cgi-wiki-dev@earth.li
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:07:58 +0100

[cced to OpenGuides and CGI::Wiki dev lists - Matt, please feel free
 to join either or both of these.  URLs at bottom of mail.]

Hi Matt,

Paul Mison pointed me at your post about wikis:
  http://a.wholelottanothing.org/archives.blah/007391

Sounds like you might be interested in some stuff I've been writing.

CGI::Wiki is a perl distribution (available on CPAN) that provides a
backend for wikis and wiki-like applications.  Despite the name, it
does no CGI whatsoever - it just stores, indexes and retrieves content
and metadata.

>From the start of my work on CGI::Wiki I wanted to make it generic
enough to be used in as wide a variety of situations as possible.
There's a choice of backends (currently MySQL, Postgres and SQLite,
but people have expressed interest in writing a flat-file backend
too), and since it's a toolkit - providing methods - rather than an
actual application, you can use it wherever you like.

OpenGuides (also available on CPAN) is built on top of CGI::Wiki.
It's a complete web application providing a management system for a
collaboratively-written city guide.  The London install is currently
the largest - see
  http://openguides.org/london/
Other installs are linked from
  http://openguides.org/

OpenGuides uses CSS and the Template Toolkit and our aim has always
been to produce something completely suited to its purpose, rather
than shoehorning our content into something that looks and smells like
every other wiki site out there.  It does RDF too, so it's all semantic
and stuff.

Both CGI::Wiki and OpenGuides are in active development.  They're
certainly not what I would call mature yet, but they're definitely
usable.  Here are the links for the dev lists: