Subject: Re: [ALUG] USB Memory Sticks
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:35:01 +0000

Quoting nev young <[email-masked]>:

> On 01/01/13 10:15, Chris Green wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 06:50:05PM +0000, Michael Goddard wrote:
>>> An odd request, but what is reasonable brand of USB M S for use with Linux?
>>>
>>> My reason for asking is that I've found of late some of these items,
>>> after a period of use,
>>> give a misleading response eg, describe item to be "full, no space",
>>> when user knows this
>>> to be untrue!
>>>
>> I can't reaally see why the *brand* of memory stick would affect why
>> this might happen.  Have you simply got a lot of hidden files  on the
>> stick using all the space?
>>
> Chris could be right. I had a problem with losing space on the memory card
> in my camera which I eventually found to be all the old photos filed  
> under .Trash

I've never had that problem, and my oldest stick is 64 MB...

Most of mine are now SanDisk, Peak and Kingston.

Be aware that decent sticks write to the memory in a pattern, so that  
it is used and re-used in rotation as it doesn't last for ever.

As well as Nev's good suggestion, you can delete the partition which  
makes the thing usable - I have a small one to which this has happened  
- somehow.

-- 
Tony