[E3-hacking] Trying to Flashing the backup of the Original Firmware Again

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Apr 15 22:59:32 BST 2019

There'll be a way to extract the data from the flash backups you have,
which you can then write to the device in a way that knows about the bad
blocks. The ams_delta installer script will be doing exactly this. I can't
remember what any of the E3 partitions do any more but the big one will
most likely be a JFFS2 filesystem. Loopback mounting those JFFS2 images is
a pain because you need to use mtdram to fake a flash device.

If all else fails, you can always run ams_delta on it.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 23:34, Nick Griffin <span1922 at live.com> wrote:

> It looks like when it backs up the NAND its copies the blocks that are bad
> too making the image bigger,  so if you try and restore the E3 back to the
> way it was, you can’t because the bad Blocks stop it from installing,  if
> you want to use Linux on the E3 use it from the Ramdisk in Release V2 here
> <http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/E3_release_v2.tar.gz>,Just don’t run
> ams-delta-install then you will not lose the Amstrad E3 Original Firmware.
> Like I did and I am gutted. I have to now buy another one and its going to
> cost me £30 because they are not cheap because they are retro, well…😊How
> can it be retro when the service only was close 8 years ago. A Commodore 64
> or ZX Spectrum is retro..😊
>
> Spanner..

┌─── http://www.cowlark.com ───
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup