[E3-hacking] Understanding the E3s Partitions

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 10:03:14 BST 2019

Hi Nick,

> mtd0 - kernel
> mtd1 - PBL ( Maybe, I say this because Uboot is flashed there.)

Aren't PBL and Uboot two distinct separate things?  PBL was written by
Clive at Amstrad.  On the E2, it's the sole occupant of the small 64 KiB
flash so it isn't at risk of corruption when it writes to the main 8 MiB
flash.
https://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/emailer/emailerplus.html#hardware-ics

> What are mtd2 and mtd5 used for..??
> Trying to find out what each Partition is used for?

If you have extracted the contents of those partitions then start poking
around their contents.  file(1), hexdump(1), etc.  And Google some
resources on reverse-engineering flash blobs to identify their contents.

> One of the problem with the E2 is it don’t run Linux
> The E3 had a different CPU because it need a MMU for the Colour LCD
> screen so need to be more powerful than the E1,E2.

I think Clive wanted to take advantage of Linux for the E3, given its
higher, more complex, workload and thus needed the MMU.

--
Cheers, Ralph.